Ideas for a comic? Where do you get those? I here that question a lot. I could answer in the typical silly way I usually do and say I get ideas for a comic from ghost, sniffing glue, or I pay for them online. But that’s not very helpful is it?
The truth is I’m always looking for ideas for a comic. And I hunt for them everywhere. Recently I thought I could get some good material from dreams. I’m a lousy sleeper and I wake up multiple times a night. I toss, I turn, or I don’t sleep at all. At the best of times I get weird dreams that wake me up in a cold sweat, heart racing, and with the certain knowledge that impending doom is upon me. So you know, normal stuff.
I started keeping my sketchbook by my bed determined to write down some of these dreams as fuel for more ideas for a comic or two. I diligently wrote them down every night and woke up the next day to see what I wrote. Here’s some of the better results from my dream experiment.
- Several dreams where zombies were trying to kill me.
- Several dreams where zombies were trying to “love” me.
- I drew a dragon smoking a long stemmed pipe. (Very Fruedian I suppose)
- I dreamed that I had no teeth and I was attacking homeless people and stealing theirs.
- And finally I dreamed of a new super fuel that would make me rich. Storing Farts in bottles and selling them… Genius!
It’s clear that my subconscious mind is an idiot. But I have to admit that it did in fact give me an idea for a comic, just not in the way I had hoped. So maybe I’ll keep up the experiment. The dreams of the zombies were encouraging, well not the one’s where they were trying to kill me… I mean “love” me. Those I could do without.
Hopefully it will give me more things to entertain you all with.